Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Special Present

Day 32 - We had a wonderful day today. The weather was amazing, even warmer than yesterday so we took the rented car and we drove to the northern part of the country. After few weeks of rains everywhere you look is so green and here in this part of the world, late February is the beginning of spring, so there are flowers all over - yellow and red, white and purple - a celebration to the senses. It was so much fun just to drive and see all this beauty and we both concluded that we are indeed in love with this beautiful country, that we are so happy we decided to move back here. I was born here so I know big parts of it but she came here only on vacations that were devoted mostly to see family and friends so she did not have the chance yet to see many of the hidden jewels. It is a great pleasure for me to take her places, to acquaint her with the history and geography here. So on our way we stopped to one such place a lake that used to be malaria ridden swamp land a century ago and now is a very lovely spot full of flowing fresh water and a very important stop for half a million migratory birds on their way south in late fall and north in the spring. It is too early to see them so only the local water birds where there, but it was a great afternoon and now we know when to come back and enjoy the migration. I love to watch animals in their natural habitat and to see such place that was doomed and came back to life and support such vast population is very inspiring. It was indeed a very special day.

I am thankful for this wonderful weekend, full of great as well as tender moments. I am thankful again to my daughter for giving me such a great birthday present - spending a whole weekend with me  helping me to enjoy every moment of it. Not many people get this kind of present from their adult children. I feel very blessed that I am among the few lucky ones.

No comments: