Saturday, February 26, 2011

An Old Friend

Day 39 - When I decided to leave home I had no concrete plan. I knew I am coming here for a month or so to see my daughter settle into her new life and than I was to travel for as long as I can until I figure out what I want to do with my life. First stop was Europe. Just to travel from one place to another, by trains and flights, staying in hostels and see places I never visited before. And of course visit family and friends in different countries in Europe. So I contacted them all excited about this upcoming trip and the chance to meet. One of the people I contacted is a very dear friend of mine. We were together in officers academy when we were 19 years old but never kept in touch and than years later, after we already moved abroad, we met at a party and connected right away. for the next few years our families were inseparable with kids almost exactly the same age we just loved each other. We saw each other through very difficult times and some better times as well. And than we moved far away and a year later they moved back to our homeland. We saw each other few more times, but somehow we drifted apart. In the mean time she divorced her husband and thanks to facebook I was able in the past few years to see a little bit of her life and she of mine, but apart from a few emails, nothing. And so when I decided to travel in Europe it was not even a question that I will visit her and we started writing a little bit again. Last week she told me that she is coming here for a visit so I gave her my cell phone number and about two hours ago she called. We talked as if there was no gap of 12 years and it was wonderful. It takes this kind of a call to realize how much I missed her. We are both older now and wiser, like most women our age that dared to grow-up, to stand on their own two feet. It was great to hear her stories, happy and sad, and to reconnect after so many years. I don't know if we'll have a chance to meet on this visit - she is here only for a few days, but even if not this time, now we know that we'll meet again and it will be soon.

I am so thankful that we managed to re-connect after so many years and I am even more grateful that we didn't drift to a point where we have nothing to say to each other. She is such a wonderful woman and I am thankful to have her back in my life.

No comments: