Monday, February 28, 2011

Finding My Own Voice

Day 41 - I wrote about my singing group about three weeks ago. Our conductor is leading another group in a different neighborhood of town. Today we met them for the first time for a concert we did together and after few solo songs, the audience joined us for an hour of sing-along. It was so much fun!!! I originally joined the group thinking it is a sing-along event and found out that it was a real singing troupe so I love both forms of singing and today I got to enjoy both. I've been away for so many years and it was so wonderful to sing all those "oldies" songs that I knew in my youth and didn't hear or sang for such a long time. Few of the songs actually brought tears to my eyes.
One day I just turned my back on all that and just left, never looking back, never connecting again to all that I grew up with, to all those delicate strings that are pulling on my heart, that are connecting me to this culture, to these people. I know, it looks like few months ago I did the same thing - I left my new country, but it is not the same. What I am missing are my children and my friends but not the culture, I was not that attached to it.  I am finally realizing just many strings are connecting my heart to my country; I keep singing the songs now for hours after the concert, I even sang (loudly) in the shower and, did I mentioned the fact that all my life I was Alto and now I am in the soprano section? The last song we sang ends with "to wake up in the morning with a new song in my heart; To sing it loudly and in pain... and to start all over again"
I needed to be here to experience all that, and to be able to start all over again. I am so thankful for the gift of this music is back in my life, I am thankful to find what is pulling on my heartstrings; I am so thankful to have found my own voice, my own place.

No comments: