Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Voluntarism

Day 29 - I am working for a hospital here, and one of my main goals is to start activities for us in the area where I just came from. It was a no-brainer for me. I know the people there, I know that there are a lot of wealthy people there and I know that it is a worthy cause; all the right ingredients. The only problem is that I am here and so I can create the contacts but if there is no activity on the ground it will not fly. So for months I was asking all my friends if they want to volunteer for us or if they know someone who might but to no avail. Few days ago I decided to put an ad in the local Internet group and within 24 hours I had few volunteers. One of them in particular sounded exactly like the person I was looking for. We just finished a long talk on the phone and I think I might have found the one I was looking for. I am so thankful for people who are ready to put their time and effort to help for no compensation to promote a worthy cause. I am so thankful to this lovely woman and to the others who contacted me and I am very hopeful that with their help we will be able to start a new chapter of friend of our organization in the area. I am so thankful today for the goodness in people, for the volunteers all over the world doing the work that has to be done but there is no money to support it. In this time and age, when all we hear is how bad things are, it is really something to be thankful for.

No comments: