Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Churches that Fell from the Sky - Meteora

Day 428I chose to end my trip with the hanging churches of Meteora. I have to say, it was a very good choice. I saw the pictures of Meteora, like many other people, but you have to be there to get the real feeling of these strange and beautiful land. They really look like they feel from the sky, as their name suggests. And it was another beautiful day – 25 degrees in early afternoon. And I just took so many pictures that again, my camera’s battery died on me. It becomes the story of this trip – I guess I really need a second battery if I want to continue this habit of taking SO many pictures. I woke up early to see the sunrise over the cliffs. The hotel manager thought it was at 5 am but it was pitch black. I woke up half an hour later still no sign of dawn and since I didn’t sleep much and kept waking up every hour or so, I decided to give up the sunrise and just go to sleep. and, just as I thought, by the time I finally woke up the sun was up and another balmy day awaited me. I spent the next 5 hours there driving around meeting some very nice people and visiting two of the churches. And it was very moving indeed; a very spiritual visit. The beauty of the place, the tranquility it just gets you. I set there in one of the hanging porches overlooking the valley below in all its spring bloom and in the middle these strange rock formation that the churches are perched on and the magnificent back drop of the bluish mountains covered with snow – a picture right out of a magazine. What can I say – you have to see it. It was totally worth the drive. I could not think of a better way to finish this amazing trip. Now I am already back in Athens, after 5 ½ hours’ drive, packing my things a getting ready to go to sleep. This is the end of my maiden voyage to Greece. I know I’ll be back. I loved everything about it – the people, the landscape the views, the antiques that I did so little of and there’s so much more I have to do, the food, the music and most of all something that has nothing to do with Greece and everything to do with me – the freedom and the empowerment and the understanding that this is the first among many such trips.
  
I am thankful beyond words for a trip that was successful much more than I dared to hope. I am thankful for more gifts than I even thought possible. I am thankful it gave me an opportunity to test myself in so many ways and to realize that I strive in times like that. I love the challenges and little triumphs and I am thankful so thankful for everything that crossed my path this last week; it all contribute to its success. I am thankful to my dear ones who had to endure my overjoy as I described my days. I am thankful, so thankful for this trip.    

No comments: