Thursday, March 15, 2012

Visiting Athens


Day 422 – I left home in a very heavy rain and arrived here to a beautiful sunny and warm day. I didn’t have much time to sleep before getting to the airport so I slept at the gate for an hour and was one of the first ones to board the plane and promptly fell asleep. I woke up over the islands few minutes before landing – a dreamy flight. After checking into the hotel, so I can leave my bag there I just roamed the streets, getting to know this city. There is an exciting combination of new and old living side by side, there is a city that so many of its buildings are in the new-classical style. There is graffiti everywhere, to the point that it looks unkempt, but I think it has something to do with the unrest here right now, even though I can’t read a thing – different Alpha Beth. I saw the changing of the guards – one of the strangest things I ever saw and I felt bad for those handsome guys standing there in their tights and pompon shoes, and those short, way too short skirts. I roamed the streets of Plaka, so narrow and beautiful and the Acropolis overlooking it all. I went to a restaurant because they had good Greek music and stayed there for two hours so happy, taking it all in. It’s a story of breaking few more chains, mental chains, of complete freedom. It’s the story of being alone in a foreign country with no language and no pre-set plan. It’s my dream and my plan; just me and my ability to do things, to find a way; it’s being as alone as one can be. It’s the challenge I like, the complete freedom. I said it two years ago – I want to go on the road to find myself. And here I am in Athens, Greece; finding myself. Celebrating life to the fullest.   
  
I am thankful I found in me the courage to just go, now I also understand why I didn’t make any plans. I am thankful for complete freedom for the exhilarating ride. I am alive, so alive!!

No comments: