Saturday, March 17, 2012

Overtaken By Surprise

Day 424It took me three days to find my way to the Acropolis and its diamond – the Parthenon. But I am so happy I waited - I got the prefect day today. The sky was blue without a cloud and I dressed way too much for the warm and sunny day that welcomed me even at the top the mountain, I probably should’ve used some sunscreen!!
 I left my hotel early to make sure I’ll have enough time, so I was able to choose the long way to climb the mountain encircling it all around and finally making my way up the steps of the Propylafa and upon ascending it all the way to the top suddenly something took my breath away – the Parthenon in all its splendor. You always hear it is covered in scaffolds but what I saw is a picture out of a dream. There it stood against the perfectly blue sky, as magnificent as can be and tears just flooded my eyes. I don’t know why, it never happened before, but I was overtaken by emotions, I could hardly breathe. I just sat there for about half an hour, taking it all in and at some point I pulled my iPhone and wrote on the notes a little poem that just popped into my head there at the foot of the Parthenon. Not a great piece of poetry, but the whole theme was something out of a storybook, out of this world.

At the foot of the Parthenon,
Overcomed with emotions.
I didn't think it can get me like that,
I just didn't think. 
It took my breath away
Tears flooded my eyes.

It’s the cradle of modern civilization, 
This is where it all begun. 
The sheer size of these temples, 
The hinted beauty and the mighty fall.
The sharp contrast between new and old. 
The most powerful empire so mighty and vast, 
And now-a-days nation's struggle for life.
 
At the foot of the Parthenon overtaken by surprise 
Kneeling before the gods, asking for wisdom and heart. 
What do I take from this picture to my daily life?
The assurance of resilience the humbleness towards the past
The understanding that it is only a hint, a clue, not a path.
That I always have to keep my heart open to what is actually in front of my eyes.

At the foot of the Parthenon on top of the old world
I thank the heavens for guiding me here at last. 

I am thankful beyond words for the most emotional day on this trip so far. I am thankful my heart is so open, it can be so easily touched. I am thankful for an experience of a life time; I didn’t know when I embarked on this journey of all the presents awaiting me along the way. My hearts is bursting with emotions, I am thankful for everything, I am thankful to be so alive!!

No comments: