Friday, March 23, 2012

Living Conscious Life


Day 430 – I drove today my daughter to her kibbutz and then I drove all the way to the south to visit my parents, it was almost the whole length of my country. And it made me realize a very important thing. Our country is so beautiful and everything is in bloom. There were just as many flowers as I saw in Greece. And our one mountain that is covered with snow was overlooking the very green valley below. In short a perfect picture that is no less pretty than some of the sites I saw. But I did not pull out my camera to take a picture of this beauty, even though I thought I should. And it made me realize that I am taking things for granted here, I lost the fresh look at my country; and it made me sad. I had to travel to Greece to get that fresh look again. If we think about it in a little broader scope – we have the tendency to take what we have for granted. Be it the things we own, the experiences we go through and too many times we even take for granted the important people in our lives. We fail to see how special they are, how lucky we are to have them, to know them; we fail to tell them we love them and how blessed we are.  This is what caused so many marriages to fail, so many friendships to brake.

How do we prevent that, this is my question of the day. Right now I can see that my boyfriend is the most perfect man on earth, but how do I make sure I’ll see that in a few months, in a few years? I am divorced, so it happened before; I have a reason to be concerned. Or maybe, I am trying to tell myself, it doesn’t have to be that way – I never fail to see how wonderful my kids are, so why would I not see him as well? So, since we, as limited people, can’t keep everything on high alert, maybe it is an unconscious choice we make, what do we want to keep alive and fresh and always be thankful for and what we can let go? Maybe the answer is simply in our priorities, in the choices we make. And the more aware we are to these choices, the more things we can bring to the foreground and make them count. Keep them on our priority list and tend to them as much as needed to make sure they are what we want them to be – very meaningful people in our lives. We have to practice conscious living. To be in the moment and to be thankful for everything we got. I started this blog for that very reason and now I want to extend it. I am going to make sure I’ll never take things that are important to me and even more so people that are dear to me for granted. I’ll be thankful for having them in my life every single day.  
  
I am thankful for a long drive with my daughter that enabled us to spend 3 more hours together; I sure don’t take that for granted and appreciate it so much. I am thankful I got to visit my parents one more time and to find them in good health; at their age I cannot take that for granted, I cannot take them. I am thankful I got to see my dog after a few weeks she is here; I have to admit, she looks very happy and she didn’t pay much attention to me so I guess she is in good hands here; I know it was the right thing for her. I am so thankful I got to talk to my boyfriend on Skype for a while before they turn off the electricity for the night in the place where he is right now; today I am all excited just to be able to talk to him for a few minutes, after a week and a half I didn’t see him; I will make sure to never take him for granted, always remember how wonderful and special he is; I am thankful every day that he is in my life, that we have met. I am thankful for this commitment to try to live conscious living; I’ll remind myself that all the time. I don’t want ever to take the special people in my life for granted.  

No comments: