Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The cycle of violence

Day 64 - There was another terrorist attack today, a bomb in the central bus station. AT this time we know of at least one dead and 30 injured. Immediately I got into emergency mode - calling all the friends and relatives who might be in the vicinity of the explosion to make sure they are all fine. I forgot how it feels.
Overall, it was a very rough week. Last Friday 5 members of one family were murdered in their sleep, including a 3 months old baby, I cannot even start to describe how I feel about such atrocity. there are no words for it.  And this was not all. Almost every day there are rockets attacks and now this bomb. My heart goes to all those injured and to the family of all the victims. So many lives were ruined this week, or changed forever
I did not experienced something like that first hand in so many years, even though it is all too common here that something will happened somewhere. It made me thinking - here I am 7 months since I moved back here and already so much terror, so much violence, was it the right thing to do, especially with the the unrest in the countries surrounding us. And the answer was yes, I am very happy that I am here, that I am part of whatever is going on, that I am here shoulder to shoulder with all my friends, with all my country people, for better and worse. It is so much easier to be in the midst of things than worry about it from far away.

So what can I be thankful for in a day like this? I am thankful that all my loved ones are OK. I am thankful that we are strong people and we do not allow terror to dictate our daily life. And I am so thankful to be here at times like that and add my strength and resolve to those of all the people arround me. Nevertheless, I pray for peace, and for something that will help stop this senseless cycle of violence.

No comments: