Monday, March 7, 2011

The Making of a City

Day 48 - I fell asleep and didn't wake up in time to put in my blog, but I am doing it now, as soon as I woke up and had access to my computer.
I stayed home with my daughter today. After a great same day of surgery experience, by late evening the local anesthesia started to wear-off and the pain settled in. It is early morning here and I had to go to work in the wee hours of the night to take care of some issue that could not be delayed until I am back at work. I did it at night since she was asleep and so I could leave for 2 hours. I was very happy about driving at this hour; I thought I'll have a chance to see a sunrise again. Now that the days are longer, I don't get to see them anymore :( but it was very cloudy and so I will have to make another attempt. But I got to see something very special - a city starting to wake up. at 4 am there are very few cars on the road, and there are the trucks - bringing fresh supplies to the city. I saw trucks unloading in front of local grocery stores (never realized these grocers wake up so early!), I saw some trucks unloading fresh produce in front of vegetables and fruits stands. and I saw bakeries in full action preparing breads, rolls and freshly baked Danishes. It was so interesting to see this side of the city we are usually so blinded  to. So many people have to wake up so early in order to allow cities to function. We all know it in the back of our mind, the drive this morning brought it to my full attention. It takes so many people to run a city smoothly and we never thank these faceless people.
So today I am thankful to all those wonderful people who work so hard to make our lives here easy. To those who bring supplies into the city, to those who take out the trash, to those who keep the streets clean, and the street lamps working; to those who maintain the vegetation all over town, and those who sweep the streets; to the bakers and the farmers and the fisherman; to the policemen and the firemen and the military men; to the doctors and the actors and the janitors; to all the people who make my life here so great - thank you with all my heart. I will make a point of it to stop every day and thank one of them for what they do. We take it so much for granted, and I am not going to do that anymore.



No comments: