Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cholesterol

Day 72 - I had high Cholesterol for years, really high, but I kept ignoring it for what it is. I tried to control it by keeping a vegan diet and it worked quite well. But than I realized that there are some serious side effects to that as well, plus I was getting bored and so I went back to my regular diet. And than I tried doing a lot of work-outs and keeping my physical activities up. It worked a little but I did not stay on top of it. Last week I did blood tests and they came really bad - my highest level ever of cholesterol and HDL. My doctor called me to talk about the results. I did not want to take medication, I really didn't want to but she was very clear that I should. it is in the danger zone already and so the agreement was that I will take it now for 3 months and see how much it will lower it and I will also follow a low cholesterol diet and increase my physical activity. in 6 weeks we will repeat the tests and than hopefully I can get off medications or at least reduce the dose. So here I finally own the fact that I have a problem and I have to face it and treat it. I keep asking myself why was I so much against it? is it because it means I am getting older and less healthy - it might very well be, the idea that my health is not as great as it was when I was young is very difficult to accept. But it is a great exercise for me in acceptance, with grace and with open heart. At least by finally treating it I am giving my body a chance to not suffer from much more serious conditions such as heart problems or stroke, so the trade off is an important one and this is how I have to look at it. If I have a problem, which I do, than I have to take care of it the best I can.
So even in this sad occasion I am thankful for this doctor who was ready to argue with me and convince me to treat my problem. I am thankful that even though I had the condition for years I am still healthy enough that we can hope for a full recovery or at least to put it under control. I am thankful that I found it in me to accept myself as I am and to try to make things better for me. and I am very hopeful it will work its magic on me.

No comments: