Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Essentials

Day 53 - the pictures and stories from the tsunami hit area keep pouring in and I cannot stop thinking about it. And now it is more than 24 hours later and the people of the area are dealing with the destruction left in its path. The first one was shelter and later later come also the need to bring food and water to all those stranded or now homeless survivors of the disaster. Help is offered from so many countries and it is heart warming to see that in times or real need the world is united and countries will try to help each other, coming to help when time is everything and every passing day reduce the chances of the trapped people. I contacted a friend who is in a world organization but no help is needed from the lay men, just monetary donations and prayers for the dead people and for the many who survived it.
Watching the story unfolds it occurred to me how many things we take for granted in our lives. The roof over our head (I already thanked for having it a few weeks ago) but much more so food and clean water, and electricity that provides light and heat to our homes. So I am not thankful because I have it and they don't,  it is what the quake brought to my conscious - that I am very thankful to have the all these things we don't even realize they can one day be taken from us. I am thankful that it is not something I ever have to question, that I can take it for granted.

No comments: