Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Day Trip

Day 44 - My youngest daughter is going into surgery this coming Sunday for meniscus tear. Since her dad is coming to visit this weekend, today was the last day we could spend together before her surgery. So, I decided to take a day off from work and to do something fun. She can't walk and has to use crutches, so hiking or even walking was out of a question, so my idea was just to pick a nice drive that we can at least enjoy the view and stop somewhere fore lunch, an easy day but more outdoors than she gets to do right now. A friend of mine had the idea that we'll go to the Safari - an African  animals preserve about an hour away from where we live. I loved the idea. We didn't visit the place in many years and I knew she'll enjoy it. The good thing is that you just drive through the place and enjoy the animals without leaving the car. It was a perfect day, blue sky, sunny and warm but not too warm so the animals were very active and since it's in the middle of the week almost no visitors. At the center of the park they have a zoo, also very wide open and very natural feeling to it. so there we rented a golf cart and we spent another hour driving from cage to open pits. a great display and a very enjoyable experience. On our way back we stopped at a very lovely restaurant on the beach and enjoyed some more fresh air and lovely view (and a great meal). We came back home very happy and very tired. At the evening, after a nice nap, we went out again to our favorite coffee shop and we had a cake they don't serve there very often so we were lucky to come there on the right day :)
In short, a perfect day. I am so thankful that we got to spend such a wonderful day together. I am so happy that I had this idea to take the day off. I am so thankful that all worked so well and that for a whole day, as much as she was in pain she had some other things to enjoy and distract her. She has to deal with such big setbacks and she is still so scared after the shock and all the new things she finds all the time that she is now allergic to. I am so thankful for anything I can do to ease it for her.

No comments: