Tuesday, April 19, 2011

This Too Shall Pass

Day 91 - The day after a big holiday celebration is always a very quite day. You have to catch your breath again, that's how it feels. So this was our day. Just small staff, no major activities, not even to go and see the new attraction in town. We woke up late and ate late and just chatted with my parents, all small and insignificant things. It feels like the calm after the storm. The pattern we see in our mood swings that I always talk about, is the same pattern we see here in our activity levels. It's cyclical. It seem like all around us life is pulsating in the same wave-like pattern the ups and the downs the intense vs. the mild. I like that rhythm, I like knowing that I don't have to hold on to anything, that if I wait long enough this too shall pass, no matter what that "this" is at the moment. We cannot hold on to the good times, the good events, the highlights of our lives because they too shall pass. The only thing we can be sure of is the instability of our daily life, the temporary nature of our whole existence. So what's the point in being too angry or too scared, or too righteous. These too shall pass. It sounds so depressing but I think it actually holds in its wings a big promise. We cannot hold on to anything. So when I am happy I should go all out and not hold back since it will not be with me forever, so I better enjoy it while it lasts, and when I am sad or scared  I don't have to dive into it and go all out but I can breath a little easier knowing that even if it takes a while - this too shall pass. So with this new realization I must learn to trust and develop all the time my ability to respond to change. I have to learn to trust that I will know how to react and handle new and changing circumstances. I have to learn to remove my blindfolds and see the world and my reality for what it is and fear not but welcome it and with that become free. I can live my life with so much more intensity when I acknowledge the temporary nature of all my experiences.

I am thankful for every trial in my life for every up and down because they widen my horizon, because they force me to grow and to become a free woman. I am thankful for the understanding that I can let go of bad experiences and of good ones, that I need not any attachments. I am thankful for this promise of new way to live my life. I am so thankful to know that whatever happens in my life - it is but temporary, it will pass.

No comments: