Friday, April 29, 2011

My First Day Back Home

Day 101 - It was a very long flight about 22 hours, not an easy task. I am doing it only every few months and I have a real reward on the other side – my two older children and so it’s really worth it. I would fly to the moon to see them. And while here I will have a chance to see some of my very dear friends. I already saw two today. My very best friend came to pick me from the airport and we went out for coffee and later for dinner. I went to see a dear friend of mine who is going though chemotherapy and it broke my heart. She is so brave and trying to find the funny side to all her ordeal, but she is very sick and weak. She lost her breasts first of all, and now her hair and she has some very unpleasant complications. But she is optimistic and positive and with high spirits. I hope she will be better soon and put it all behind her.
I also had some talks about work and it looks like I am getting more ideas and contacts than I expected. So the professional side of my trip is good as well.
And I am expecting to see my oldest daughter later tonight (early tomorrow morning) and sadly I will have to wait almost a week before I’ll see my son. He goes to college in a different city, 6 hours drive from here and so I won’t be able to get there before the end of the week. But I waited for so long – I can wait a few more days.
I am so thankful to be here and realize that it still feels like home. Probably the fact that I stay at home contributes to that fuzzy feeling. I am thankful to find my friends and see that nothing has changed in our relationship. And I am very thankful that I was able to see my sick friend and to be at her side and not only from 10,000 miles away, but for a few hours to be there, hear her stories, and hug her.

No comments: