Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fireflies

Day 81 - I came back real late yesterday night, and than I sat down to write my blog and then, even though it was almost 2am I decided to finish the movie I was watching before. It is a movie called "Fireflies" and it was done by a friend of ours. It is a very sad story. His older brother went MIA during the war of 1973. For two years the family didn't know what happened to him and the problem was that his tank disappeared (how is it even possible) and that a childhood friend of him claimed to have seen him about 7 days after he was assumed dead. two years later his remains with other 38 soldiers' remains were returned, and the army identified him and he was buried. The problem remained that testimony of his friend about seeing him and the fact that with no DNA identification, which was the case back in the day, one can't be sure it is really his remains. Ten years later his younger brother started looking for him. The movie is a sad testimony to the issue of MIA, of death and the families that bear the scars forever. It is an attempt of the younger brother to come to peace with this unfinished story that keeps haunting him, and put it to rest so he can go on with his life. It came out last year and so now that I am here, he sent me a copy so I can watch it. I stayed awake until 4am I could not stop watching and than the accompanying CD about the making of and few issues he wanted to stress.  
I am thankful to my friend for opening his bleeding heart in order to tell this painful story. I wish for him to come to peace now and go on with his life. I will do all I can to show it to as many people as I can. It is a story that has to be told. I am thankful to the healing Powers of honesty and courage as my friend have demonstrated and I know he will be all right. I am thankful to the privilege to have known him and hear his story first hand.

No comments: