Sunday, April 3, 2011

My Bucket List

Day 75 - I saw that movie last year and I still bring it up all the time. We live so much of our life as defered living, we delay fulfilling our dreams "until we'll have enough money/the kids will grow up/we first have to buy..." and we keep dreaming that one day we will finally get up and do that, but slowly we forget most of our dreams. We live our routine life and forget to dream big, forget how it feels to be fully alive. And than, in the movie, one day  they were just told that they both have incurable cancer. And this is what wakes them up, to fulfill at least some of the old dreams before it's all over. they dare to live only when they face their death. But maybe we can do it a little differently. What if we each have our little Bucket list and we add things to it as they pop into our conscious but we also cross them off as we go through the list and actually live our dreams? Can I put forth one crazy dream and make it into a reality by adding steps to it, a budget and a deadline? what are my top three things - one to have one to be and one to do?
I want to have a nice apartment. I am tired of living in this one, where it is so old and not well maintained, where I don't even have enough room to put my dishes and my books and my cloths. - action Item: start looking for an nicer apartments. So I started to look on Friday, I saw a lovely one, but today the owner told me that the guy who saw it just before me decided to take it, so I have to keep looking. I saw another one today, quite nice but not as nice, so I'm not sure yet, I'll decide by tomorrow. there's extra cost to it, of course, but living like a student is getting old very fast for me. I proved to myself that I can and if I need to I sure can do it but I choose not to do it anymore. And to fulfill my dreams I have to pay money, but this is really why we have money to begin with. So, I am OK with that.
I want to be - fluent enough in French to carry a 5 minute conversation. action item - start the Rosetta Stone program again and do it at least 3 times a week. Dead line - 6 months. I bought the software just before leaving home as a present to myself, but and this is what I was saying before, it is too easy to put things aside and not fulfill our dreams. So I am going back on track with this one.
I want to do - well, I have so many on this list that I actually have to choose. I think my first one will be skydiving. and I am planning to do it in less than 6 months. It is something I am going to do because it is really pushing the envelope for me. It seems so scary and so I want to face my fears and do it. My son and my daughter did it last year and so I had a year to think about it and decide it is the right thing for me to pick as my first challenge.
Just writing about all these things brings back energy that I lately felt is getting a little dim. I was right if I don't dream and go after my dreams I fall into this lulling routine.
I am thankful for waking up again. I am thankful that my heart is still full of dreams. I am thankful that I still have the time to creat a list and casually go through it and fulfill it, and fill my life with joy and excitement.

No comments: