Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Gift of Knowledge

Day 390 A long day is coming to its end. I came back from work after dark, even though the days are getting visibly longer. I took my dog for a walk and when I came back home I set down and did my research. So I am happy to declare that I finished the geographical introduction to Cambodia. The historical timeline is almost done and tomorrow I’ll start on the economical section. I wanted to finish it all on time, but I took too much time at the beginning and this weekend I did nothing, so I do need the extra week, but I’ll be ready for next week, hopefully by the weekend. I am learning more and more about Cambodia every day and there is no question in my mind that when the monsoon season is over – December or January of next year I am taking at least two weeks off to travel the country. I cannot wait to do that. I see it as a great privilege to study a country in such depth and then have the chance to actually go there and see everything I read about. I chose Cambodia because I knew nothing about it and it is a country still undeveloped. I know it will not stay like that for long, but I don’t want to travel during the wet monsoon months, so I have to wait until next year. I want to travel on my own, in a place that is still so remote and unspoiled. I want to be able to remember it as it was before progress came in and changed everything. It’s already making huge steps hence the rush to go as soon as I can.
  
I am thankful I am engaged in such an interesting activity and hopefully at some point also a profession. I am thankful I get to study places in depth and then go and visit them. I am thankful I can do such a thing, travel, it is not something one can take for granted.  I am thankful for this class, it fills my days with so much good.   

No comments: