Monday, July 22, 2013

Watermelon anyone?

Day 914 - I write all the time about the big dramas in my life and around me and I forgot that part of life is to acknowledge the small stuff; to thank the little and mundane; to open my eyes to what I am usually blind to. So tonight I am finally going to do just that. Our country is blessed with hot and long summer. With all the difficulties and inconvenience of being too hot and sweaty we also have some amazing things because of that. One of those wonders is watermelon. Yes this is not a typo; tonight I am here to finally praise this fruit of the gods, the watermelon. In my old country, they used to be a very boring fruit; not too much taste, not enough texture, boring. But here it's a whole different story. They are so tasty and crunchy and just plain wonderful. And you have to know how to eat it -chilled,  cut into cubes accompanied by feta cheese, very fresh cucumber and of course you have to eat it on the porch when the day is coming to its end and the night crawls in. We loved doing it almost every night sitting on the porch, looking at the garden we are still trying to convince to grow with a fork in hand to stab the juicy red squares and bring them to a waiting mouth... the small wonders of live... they are buried exactly here in the little and neglected moments that are weaved into the fabric of our life...

I am thankful for happiness. I am thankful for my ability to enjoy this small wonder. I am thankful every day I eat it, I never neglect to notice how special it is.    

No comments: