Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Our Memorial Day

Day 462 – It’s our nation’s Memorial Day, my first one since I moved back here. We used to commemorate the day abroad, in the place I lived for so many years; it was always a very emotional ceremony and I always cried. It tears my heart to hear the stories, to see pictures of the young men who lost their lives during their military service, the horrific price that these men, and their families paid for our right to live here, in this country as a free nation. We all pay a price for it every single day, but there is nothing comparable to the loss of life, to the physical and emotional wounds our soldiers and too many civilians as well carry and fight their whole life. It is my first Memorial Day here in my homeland after 23 years, and it is very, very sad and very moving and I am so thankful to be here. I forgot how it feels; I forgot what it means to be part of this nation in a day like that. A whole nation standing as one, holding its breath as one, crying as one, remembering as one…
 
It is a very sad day but I am thankful to be here; it is a privilege and I am so thankful I can finally do that. I am thankful for friendships, for good days and bad. I am thankful to be able to live here as a free nation, knowing full well the price we pay every day for that.

No comments: