Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Spring March

Day 449 – Today I did something very special, something I don’t even have a proper name for in English, it’s a walk in nature, a march with no rhythm just for the fun of it for a certain distance, with many participants hundreds in our case; something that is very popular here. So today, with 3 of my friends, we went on one of the marches, organized by the armored forces of the IDFThis is the 22nd year they are doing it, a real tradition by now. It was a beautiful day; the forecast was for a light rain in the north and just cloudy where we were, but it was sunny and warm and I even got sunburned since I didn’t put sunscreen. We walked for over four hours in a very hilly area that had a very impressive history during our independence war. We marched along a very famous road, called the Burma Road that was opened in the most dangerous conditions during the war and enabled caravans of armored vehicles to bring food and water to Jerusalem that was under siege for months already. I knew, like everyone in my country the story of how they opened this road in the mountains, the stories about the brave young men who drove along this road and brought supplies to the city; but I never walked or drove it. And so today was very special; it brought such strong emotions about the road we took, and being me, the eternal over thinker it made me think about the significance of roads we take in our lives, about detours that save and change lives forever. Being on one of these detours, I sure know to appreciate it. It was also time for me to reconnect with friends I didn't see now for quite some time. I was so busy with other things in my life I didn’t leave enough time for simple pleasures like go hiking with them. But, the good thing is that I am back with my friends and I hope it will not happened again.
    
I am thankful for a wonderful hike today, for history, and nature, and fun all under one roof. I am thankful for a day I wasn’t sad even for one second, not even when I mentioned this relationship that I was hoping will last forever and didn’t. I am thankful to my friends for hours full of lovely talks and jokes, for a great day; it’s good to be back.

No comments: