Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Saving Lives

Day 442 – Passover is almost here, only two days away, and living in this country you can feel it everywhere. And so, being a little sad in the past few days and thinking what can I do that will make me feel better, I had the idea of donating platelets; I didn’t do it in such a long time. So I set an appointment for today; I came to the blood bank and everyone is always so nice to me there. Most people donate only when someone close to them needs blood so they really appreciate the fact that I do it just because I can. What the nurse there told me is that a little 5 years old girl is waiting for my platelets; she is after bone marrow transplant and in the pediatric ICU with very low platelets count. It suddenly made the whole story so real. This little investment of three hours of my time to make this donation can be the difference between life and death for a very sick little child, it’s part of her life line. I was so happy I had this idea and I made myself a promise to go more regularly to do that. It’s interesting that I was sad and was looking for a way to feel better, and by doing so I can bring so much happiness to someone else. It made me happy I did my little part in keeping this community a better place, by giving back to this place that gave me so much, that gave me back my life. I have to find more ways to do good, to contribute; it’s so important and it really feels good.
 
I am thankful to my country and my community for all they did for me since I moved here. I am thankful to all the wonderful people I met along the way. I am thankful for all the kindness, the friendships the extended hands. I am so thankful I found a way to give back. I am thankful to this wonderful nurse who let me know the final destination of my donation and by that made it so meaningful and important. I wish this little girl a fast and complete recovery, I am so thankful I could help a little in this long and difficult path she is forced to walk.    

No comments: