Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Street Art Show

Day 586 - I went today downtown because I wanted to take a look at the art store there, that is expensive but very good and to my delight there was a big fair there - a Wine & Art fair that is taking place every year and is always beautiful and it sure was so special. Now that I am painting myself I enjoy it so much more than every before. I went from booth to booth and looked at everything and I was specially interested in some of the paintings that were more to my liking or that had special techniques that were intriguing. I stayed at such a booth looking closely at the painting, asking the artist questions how they did this effect or that and in some place, if they allowed it even took pictures. This way I will remember it and can try to work on such technique at home. I paint in acrylic, that has many advantages, if I am using quality products, but it has it's short comings such as - how thin it is vs. the thickness and texture an oil paint has, and here I saw some interesting solutions, and now I am going to try them at home. Another thing I saw is that the prices of art are much higher here, they sell it here for 3-4 times more that I can sell something at home, so maybe, in a few years, if my work will keep improving, I will come here to some of those fairs and sell some paintings. Just a thought. Another thing that is very unique to this specific art show is the disposable art - there is a whole side street where artists are painting on the road that is blocked for the two days of the fair. It always amazed me, and now even more, how people can engage in such an art form. You create beautiful pieces, just to get them destroyed the next day my the tires of cars or by the rain. But regardless, it is beautiful to watch them at work and some of the pictures they make in pastels on the pavement. The picture I attached to this entry is one of those creations. After spending few hours at the art show I went back to spend more quality time with my daughter and her family and it was absolutely wonderful, but I loved this little outing for my own enjoyment, a little outing for my inner artist, "me time".
  
I am thankful for a wonderful art show I got to enjoy; I feel so lucky that the only weekend I am here is the very same weekend as the fair. I am thankful I decided to go downtown to the art store otherwise I wouldn't even know about the show, you don't hear or see the commotion from where my daughter lives. I am thankful I can enjoy and art show in such a different and more heightened matter due to my personal interest, it makes for a very different experience. I am thankful for another day I could spend with my daughter's family, for the fact my little granddaughter is warming up to me by now. I am thankful for such a fulfilling day.  

No comments: