Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Art Teacher

Day 567– another Tuesday and another painting class. It is always such a pleasure I never get tired of it. My teacher had some ideas about how to go with my latest painting and it's really interesting. At the beginning I just took his advices, I did not understand what's going on, what's the right way to continue, what is missing; where is the whole thing going. I could see other students, more advanced than me discussing things with him but I didn't get it; I just did whatever suggestion he had and it always improved the picture, so I was very satisfied. But now things are different, especially with my last few pictures. I suddenly broke through a barrier in my mind by going abstract, and apparently I also touched a very deep cord in my soul. Now I have opinions, now I feel if something can make it better or not. Now I listen to what he has to say but then we go into a discussion. I didn't even realize this is going on until our lesson this evening. He felt I have to touch few places to make the composition stronger, I agreed that it is not done yet but we had a whole discussion about the "what". In the past he'd ask for the brush and touch the painting where he thought it needed it; now he wanted to do that but I told him not to, I'll do it myself; it has to be my way, my touch. He suggested adding something black on the left side of the picture to balance the rings on the right and I agreed but not where he thought I should add it and not the way he thought and I am very happy with the end result. I don't know how the picture would have looked had I take his suggestions; but the truth is it's OK with me. I know how it really looks and this is how it resonates better with me; so for me it is the right way. This is not coming from disrespect, on the contrary, I respect his insight and talent and I listen with very open mind to everything he has to say; but I am the final editor and I make improvements, but in a way that it works with my harmony, my heart. And I learn so much in the process. He always explain where the problems are coming from, talks about balance and answers in different parts of the picture and it makes me look at it in a very different way, in a more critical eye. And I absolutely love it. I think I learn the most out of these discussions.
  
I am thankful, once again, to this amazing gift in my life; for the ability I found in me to pour my heart on a canvas and rejoice in it, or cry with it; just be there, totally in the moment. I am thankful for my teacher's guidance every step of the way; I would not be able to be in the place I am today without his amazing ability to teach and listen and guide so patiently, with so much gentleness. I am thankful for this summer workshop; it is an experience like no other; both for us we get to know each other on a very different level of intimacy, and on a more artistic level – with such a close tutelage we learn so much more than we'd ever be able to learn in a class. I am thankful, so very thankful for all these gifts I am receiving on a daily basis; I feel so blessed.  

No comments: