Monday, January 2, 2012

Greek and Roman Art

Day 349 I am back to my routine – waking up early, going to work early and today also my Tour Directors class which I enjoyed very much. The class today was the first of three on the subject of art and it was very interesting. We focused on the Greek and Roman architecture and art. We learned to follow the progress of the art as related to movement and the philosophy behind it. We learned a little about subtle hints in pieces of art and we learned the difference between Roman and Greek art. It is interesting to follow it along the generations and to see the art being harnessed to deliver a philosophical message in Greece and a very powerful political message in Rome. I’ve being to both Italy and Greece and didn’t know the things I learned today in a very easy to follow explanation, something I will be able to pass forward. It was very interesting because I looked at the statue and just saw the Caesar, the instructor showed us how a message of a dictator who is in control of the legislative system, the military and the religion is splashed all over the statue and we just don’t know what to look for. Hand gesture and chest armor – commander, a very strong man. Outfit of a senator – control of the legislative branch. And he stands bare foot – the head of the religious establishment.
  
I am thankful for the privilege to sit in these lectures and to learn new things about art and z new way to view it; I love these subjects and I am thankful for any opportunity to learn more and with the right tools so I will be able to utilize it on stuff I never saw before. I just learned today that our class will take a field trip to Rome. I am so thrilled about it and I know that even though it is an extra to the class and not mandatory, it has tremendous benefits, so I am in, for sure. I am thankful again for this wonderful class.           

No comments: