Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Riding a Bus to Work

Day 357 I am using my car too much. In one month I put over 2000 km on my car, which is a lot for such a small country. I cost a lot of money, since the gas here is very expensive and I have to do all the maintenance more often, which also cost me more. I am very close to the next big maintenance check point and so I decided to delay it as much as I can by going back to public transportation as much as I can. Monday I have to take my car to work since I have the tour guides class right after that and I finish really late and on Thursday – I have creative writing and then the drawing class, right after the other and in another part of town, so again I need my car, but I figured I can use the public transportation for the other three days. I have to get a city pass – they changed the system since I last use busses here and this week I started using again the city buses. I am happy to report that I still remember how to do that and I actually enjoy it and I sure saves money, and millage on my car. And the funny thing is that I don’t think it takes me any longer. The bus station is here right in front of my house – the same distance as my parked car, and the bus station at work is much closer. I don’t have to drive to the park and ride area and wait for the shuttle. So it looks like a successful experiment and I hope I will be able to keep this decision and take good care of my car and my finances as well. I am lucky to live in a country where the public transportation is so good that something like that even makes sense, I sure was not the case where I lived before.
  
I am thankful for quality time I get to spend on the bus, where I can read and relax instead of dealing with bad drivers and get to my destination just as quickly. I am thankful I can also save some money on gas and maintenance. I am thankful for a great public transportation system. I am happy also for and amazing day after few days of almost constant rains.     

No comments: