Sunday, January 1, 2012

One More Goodbye

Day 348 – My son left an hour ago on his long way back home. I am trying to be positive about that. This is going to be part of my life seeing them for a short while and then saying goodbye until next time. This is what I chose when I decided to move here; to be away from my kids and their families; to live between the two places and miss big chunks of their lives. But I also gained some things. When we live close to each other, we never really take time off to be with the person, we kind of there but not really. Here I took almost two weeks off from work and we spend every possible moment together. We had some serious quality time, which kind of makes up for the small quantity. And the truth is that we lived in a very big country and he was away at college so I didn’t really get to see him much more than I do now, I think it’s more the recognition that even if I want, it is just not possible, whereas when I lived at home it was just a short plane ride away. I am going to be there in two or three months and he will be back here this summer, I hope, after his graduation. I keep thinking that being very sad about his departure is also against anything I stand for; I have to learn to be happy when sad things happening, when I am down on my luck, or just in a low point. So instead of being sad that my son just left I will focus on his visit and how wonderful it was and accept that part of a visit is saying goodbye.  
     
I am thankful for such a great time we had together. I am thankful for all the places we’ve visited and the people we met. I am thankful for missing him already; it only means we had great time while it lasted.  

No comments: