Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Story of a Light Bulb

Day 350 – about a week ago the light bulb in my dining room stopped working. Usually this is really nothing, not even worth mentioning, but I have a house with very high ceilings. I loved it when I first saw the house, I still do, but it means that something as simple as changing a light bulb becomes a project. I don’t have a high enough ladder to reach the burnet bulb. My son, who is at least 8” taller than me, tried to reach that light bulb with our tiny excuse for a ladder and couldn’t. We were too busy last week and so that task was put on hold. Every morning when I sit down to write my morning pages at 5am in complete darkness, I am reminded that I still have to take care of that issue, and the same is true every night as I write my blog. So this evening I finally remembered it on time and drove to the nearest home supplies depot. I saw a 4 steps ladder and was hesitating whether its going to be ok or not, and the salesman convinced me to buy a 6 steps ladder instead – it was on sale and actually cheaper than the smaller one. When I opened it at home I realized that even this one is barely making it! But it did. I took out the old bulb and put in a new one and in less than a minute I had light again. This weekend I will also try to install the light fixture I bought today – I got tired of the very ugly thing we inherited with this apartment and decided to replace it. But today I just enjoy the fact that I have a very bright light in my dining room and I can actually see what I write.
    
I am thankful for the gift of light; sometimes you have to deprive yourself of something to learn to really appreciate it, and so today I am thankful for the light I got. I am thankful I remembered to buy the ladder and so i have one more degree of freedom. And as usual, I am thankful for the gift of sleep, I am so tired it is not even funny and I can’t wait to finish writing, take a shower and go to bed.               

No comments: