Monday, January 9, 2012

Tour Guides Courses

Day 356 – it is not an easy task to find work for a woman who stayed home with her kids for a long period of time; most of us face it at some point, especially those of us who find themselves without a spouse towards the second half of our lives, an age when most people our age are starting to think about retirement. And the question is what can we do when we were out of the work force for many years so we bring not enough work experience and the relevancy might be questionable as well. One more problem is of course the age – it doesn’t play to our advantage in a world that admires youth. But we still need to work and try to rebuild our lives. These were the questions I face few years ago when I realized that our divorce is eminent. My solution was the travel industry. In that field age might bring advantage – we traveled the world, we know places, we have knowledge and we know what to look for – quality of hotels, restaurants, entertainment and such. I started taking classes and was happy to see that it was not only my idea. Most people in my classes where about my age or even older. One of my classes was tour directors and I loved it so much I decided to take a special training class to become a tour guide and I got my certificate. But I moved here and if I want to take groups from my country I have to get a local certificate and this is what I am doing now. What I found out in the past few days is that the knowledge and the tools I get here are unparalleled to the class I took there and so I am very happy I am taking the class here. I know I will be a much better guide because of that, and I feel lucky to have this opportunity to do that. Monday is a very long day for me – I wake up at 5 and by 7 or even before I am at work already and from there I go straight to my class and I finish at 9pm so I get home around 9:30 to take my dog out for a walk – a long day. But the class is so interesting that I don’t mind it and I really enjoy every one of them so far. So far we learned a little about religions – Christianity, Islam Judaism and we still have to study Buddhism, and we got an intro to art. We have to submit serious work as a final project, in short none of which I learned there, and all is exciting. I know I will be a better tour guide for taking this class and I will enjoy more my travel even on my own because I learn to prepare a trip so much better than I ever did.
  
I am thankful it’s Monday again; I am thankful for this amazing class I am taking. I am thankful for all the knowledge I get, the people I meet and the nice atmosphere in my class. I am thankful I stumbled on this profession, almost by accident and I am so happy I like it so much. I am thankful for a wonderful class today.
     

No comments: