Sunday, May 6, 2012

Confused!!

Day 474 – I am starting to think about buying a home. I live in rented apartments for the past two years and it really doesn’t feel like home. I cannot buy too much furniture since I don’t want to move it later and also I don’t know how it will fit into the next one. With that in mind, two days ago I saw a very nice house and I got all excited about it. I even took my daughter to see it and she got excited as well. But I am a realtor by training, even if it’s not in this country I still know that there are hidden things you have to be aware of and I am not familiar enough with the local scene to know them. So this morning I called a good friend of mine who is in the business of building and selling homes for many years and ask for a professional advice and he was very clear about it – don’t do that, it’s not a good investment. It is a neighborhood that for many years didn't mount to expectations and it probably will not be a good place to invest. For the same price I can get something much better here in our city and get a much better rent, a much better return on my investment. His advice was buy where the ROI is the best and rent wherever you want to live. As a realtor, I know that this is a sound advice, I would tell people the same thing in an area I am more familiar with the question is do I want to buy for investment or do I want to buy for the quality of my life. And as I ponder this it done on me (with a little help from the outside) that as much as I look for a few bedrooms house, thinking that my daughter might live with me after she is done with the army, she probably won’t. The city I am living in is not an exciting place for a young woman; and she’ll want a place for herself right there in the middle of all the action. So why am I looking for a big place? And won’t I be so lonely living in a very small community on my own? Maybe I should stay right where I am until I’ll figure what I want to do with my life? and... and… so many questions... so many options...I am so confused!!
  
I am thankful for all these questions, even if I am so confused; these are all questions I have to answer in order to keep going. I am thankful for opportunities that are open for me; it is confusing but I feel privileged to be in that position. I am thankful to my friend for taking the time and helping me, for sound advice and for friendship. and, as always, I am thankful to my daughter, for waring her heart on her sleeve, for caring so much.  

No comments: