Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

Day 481 – It’s Mother’s Day today and I am here all alone. Two of my children are in a different country and one is here but in the military. It brings the philosopher in me into play, of course. What is the meaning of parenthood and our role as our children get older. Mine are all grown up by now and my oldest daughter is a mother herself by now. Our part in the circle of life is completed. We brought up our children and they can function on their own and contribute to nature in the only way that counts – reproduce. My job here on earth is done as far as nature is concerned, and so it is very befitting to commemorate the day alone. Now it is time for our generation to bow out and leave the stage for our offspring. I have no plan to actually leave yet, not to worry; I still enjoy every day of my life, I still have so many plans. But none of them has to do with my number one role that I already fulfilled and today celebrate – being a mother. It was the best job I ever had; I wish it didn’t pass so quickly and with all the ups and downs I never, even for one day, regretted being a mom, having these three amazing children. I can’t even imagine my life without them; I wouldn’t want to. I never could and never will understand people who choose not to experience this wonderful thing, being a parent.
 
I am thankful to have three wonderful children. I am thankful for the opportunities to live life in a totally different way with them. I am thankful for the phone calls and wishes from them today. I am thankful I can still be here and enjoy them year after year; and I hope I have many more years to do that.    

No comments: