Friday, May 18, 2012

About Cell Phones and Friendships

Day 486 – It’s Friday night and I was at home all by myself doing some work when one of my friends called. He was on the road and had time on his hand so he called me to keep himself entertained. We had a nice talk for almost an hour, had time to catch up and hear all the news and I was really happy he called. Later in the evening another friend called. He was on his way here, to my city and was very tired and called me; we talked for an hour and it was very interesting. We talked about so many things and I like his very fresh and nonconventional ideas, it was fun. Few hours later I had another phone call from a friend, by now it was really late already, and another 40 minutes passed by. I never really paid attention before to how much time I actually spend on the phone. Today I spent about 5 hours on my phone!! I think I better put an end to this cycle. And even though I really like each one of these friends, the accumulating effect is just too much. I’ll have to learn to cut calls to the minimum, or I’ll do nothing else all day. It’s amazing how this little device changed our lives and not always for the better. We are always available, always ON. I’m not saying I want to go back to the days before cell phones. Every time I get lost while driving, or try to find someone I scheduled to meet somewhere, or talk to my kids I bless this little device; but I have to pay more attention to its addicting effects and to add time management skills to its use, or it will take over my life.

I am thankful I got to talk to all my friends and catch up; it was fun and I truly enjoyed it. I am thankful for this wonderful invention – the cell phone; I just have to use some judgment while using it. I am thankful for friendships I never take for granted, for all these wonderful people that are part of my life here and make me feel so at home, make the move back here to my country the best thing I ever did for myself. I am thankful for yet another wonderful day.

No comments: