Tuesday, June 26, 2012

CPR Training, Again

Day 525about a month ago I took a CPR class as part of my tour directors training. I learned a lot, since I knew very little about it, but I didn’t think I am prepared enough. Since one of my friends is in charge of all the subject of CPR training in our hospital, I asked her if I can join the next class she is giving. And today was the day. so I am happy to report the following: I am now certified, again, to give CPR (with the hope it will never come); I was right and the training I took last time was not to par with what I got today; giving CPR is a hard job. We each had to do a two minute compressions of the chest to the mannequin and it feels like eternity; by the end of the two minutes I could feel that I am doing less than perfect job, that my compressions are not as deep and I could see that others suffered from the same problem. The whole idea of CPR is to artificially circulate the blood until we can use the defibrillator and until professional help arrives. In the event of cardiac arrest it can mean the difference between life and death for the person. After hearing the odds of using CPR on a patient or not I am convinced that everyone has to learn how to perform it, and how to use a defibrillator (AED) and practice it at least once a year. This is what I am planning to do from now on. I am also going to convince everyone I know to take the training; it is our duty as citizens in a society, really.     
  
I am thankful I decided to take the CPR training again; I got better training and I feel much more confident about my ability to react in real life situation. I am thankful to my friend for giving a very interesting and intense CPR class. I am thankful to the management of our hospital who are encouraging all of us to take the class. 

No comments: