Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Little Flowers on the Side of the Road

Day 526I am sitting here thinking what can I write today. The truth is, not everyday something exciting happens. And not every day I can say I am thankful for my routine. But what is life really all about? It’s a lot of small moments of routine, moments we don’t appreciate as we live through them, but we terribly miss when something bad happens and throws us off course. And my routine today included a phone call to my parents my children and a friend; a time spent in a café with my ex and my daughter and feeling OK about it, even happy. It’s had a visit to my mother in law, a full working day that was well done. And it ended in evening with my daughter watching a movie at home on her laptop. All this in one day and my first inclination was to write “nothing happened today”. I cannot believe how a thought like that even crossed my mind, how I did not see, even if for just one moment, how lucky I am, how blessed. So I am sitting humbly here and acknowledging the fact that I am as lucky as one can be to have a great group of friends, to have a job I really like, and most of all to have a great family. And even when I separated from my husband of 31 years after a short time we had to process our feelings and disappointment we can be friends again and enjoy each other’s company. I think it makes it easier for everyone including ourselves. So looking back at my day, I had an awesome one and I want to be able to appreciate it in real time and not only in times of chaos. This was the reason for starting this blog in the first place. So I did a full circle and here I am again at point zero; I am practicing again looking and seeing the beauty in the simple things in life, in the routine and the mundane; I don’t need the drum rolls and the big dramas. I am going for the simple stuff; for the little flowers on the side of the road.
  
I am thankful for an awesome day. I am thankful for family and friends. I am thankful to be able to reset my scope every once in a while and refocus on the real things, on the best things in life. I am thankful for every day that is simple and quiet and so very satisfying. I am thankful I can take a shower, put on clean clothes and kiss my daughter before I close my eyes for the night. I am thankful I can go to sleep with no real worries, and a good chance for waking up tomorrow to another such a day.            

No comments: