Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A College Graduate

Day 518 - Two days ago my son graduated from college. This is always a big deal, but for him it was even more so. He is a very smart young man, but patience is not one of the things he pride himself for. Patience when he faces ignorance or go by the rules kind of policy is even less possible for him to practice. He likes to study what he thinks is important and not what someone else demands of him. In short it was very challenging and for a while it looked like he won't make it, but with time he learned to tame the beast. He learned that it is not necessary to express every opinion, he learned how to work the system in order to stay in school and graduate. I am very proud he did it. I am very happy he was able to control the inner voice advocating to drop-out; that he learned to delay some satisfactions and finish school, for this piece of paper, for what it represents, for the doors it will open for him, higher salary, opportunities. And the question about compromise, about selling one's soul are all valid and I don't have a good answer, but I feel it's the right thing to do. Give in just enough to get out. For my son it was a very valuable lesson for life; and two days ago he graduated. Look at this piece of paper as "getting out of jail" ticket I told him, you won back your life.


I am thankful my son finally graduated; he hated it but finished anyway and for that I am very proud of him. I am thankful he got his freedom back. I am thankful for lessons learned, for opportunities presenting themselves. I am thankful for a dream turned a reality.

No comments: