Monday, June 11, 2012

Greek Mythology Class

Day 510 We had a lecture today about Greek mythology and it was so interesting. We learned about the main Greek Gods and their attributes, how they are symbolized in art. We learned how much the influence is still permeating through our lives to this day; how expressions and symbols and literature are still influenced by something written and believed more than 2000 years ago. It was interesting thing to discover that so many artists even hundred years ago painted Greek mythology themes, theater shows and even the famous book Harry Potter has many references to creatures of that origin. What was especially interesting for me is how a guy takes such an academic subject as this and turns it into a thriving business. He wrote two books and the third one is in print right now, he is giving lectures all over the country and he is conducting trips were he is the tour guide explaining art and architecture and culture. I loved it how he shamelessly promoted his business during the class. Years ago I had a long discussion with my son saying you have to learn what you love and how to make money with it is up to you and here we had this guy – a living proof that even from such an unimportant and totally academic subject to most people one with an entrepreneur mind can create a business. I have to tell my son about this – he will love it. And of course it makes me think how can I turn my hobbies into an income source and free myself from the 9-5 office routine. The picture attached here is part of a sculpture by Bernini called “the rape (kidnaping) of Proserpina”, one of the most amazing pieces of art ever created – it is made of marble and it looks like real flesh. I was so happy we got to see it and talk about it again today.
 
I am thankful I can get back to my routine and to my class after missing it last week. I am thankful for a very interesting lecture today. I am thankful for this opportunity to learn so much about a subject I always liked. I am thankful we got to see pictures of some amazing pieces of art and the best one of all this sculpture by Bernini. I am thankful for this eye opening idea of how to create a business in a place that none is expected. I am thankful for a long talk I had with one of my classmates after class; it is always makes me re-think and re-evaluate my ideas and opinions and I like it very much. I am thankful for a wonderful day.



No comments: