Friday, June 8, 2012

Pride Parade

Day 507It is Pride Week here in our country. Yes, a whole week! So today we drove to our largest city, about an hour away from us, to take part in the Pride Parade. The city was all covered with rainbow flags and there were so many people, I think it is much larger event than the one in San Francisco and what was even more interesting it was a very happy parade but not the “in your face” kind, which was always the problem with the SF one. I think it says a lot about the social status and the acceptance the LGBT community feels. The more they feel like outsiders the more provocative they’ll be. It made me very happy to see sign of support of all the major political parties and well as the religious section. I was always for equal rights, I don’t think one group can take the rights of another and I am glad to see that this is the case here, at least on the personal level. Being a parent to a gay child I am even more sensitive to that point, and every little step towards equality is something I really appreciate. It makes me especially happy to see how open people here are to the subject and how supportive.
 
I am thankful to see the shift that slowly permeates into main stream acceptance; I am thankful to see the wide support here in my country to the needs of the LGBT community. I am thankful to my youngest daughter who told me about the parade and came with me to the city to take part in it. I am thankful for a very relaxed evening, doing almost nothing, just what I needed after the very busy week I had. I am thankful for being able to go to sleep in a normal hour and without an alarm clock.    

No comments: