Saturday, August 10, 2013

A different kind of beach day

Day 933 - A day on the beach. I don't do it enough since I moved here, for sure. It started just as a day on the beach but my partner is not the kind of guy that will just sleep in the sun. He is a guy of action as much as his appearance is deceiving. So we put our stuff and started strolling. And soon enough we saw an area of sail boats and windsurfers. Now, he was a serious windsurfer for almost 20 years and gave it up about 10 years ago as his back did not tolerate any more the strain of very strong winds and hard core windsurfing. But he promised me a long time ago to teach me how to do that. And so with so many sails around he came back to his old self. It was interesting to see this quiet and soft spoken man talks in so much passion about the "how to" and before long he was standing on one of the boards and giving me my very first windsurfing lesson. I love the sea and everything connected to it. I love walking with my feet in the water, and I love just bathing in the sun; I have to admit I never did any of the water sports except power boating and that not really a sport. So it was my first time to look at the sea in a whole different way. Checking the waves and the winds considering the possibilities. I am not a young chick so I don't know how much beating my body can take, for sure I cannot do high winds but I would love to learn how to wind surf and go out to sea with all the freedom such sport can give. So it was decided, next week we are actually taking it out not only beach practice. It was so wonderful to spend a day on the beach. We live our lives in close quarters, working in offices and stores and not outdoors, and at night come back to our little boxes of homes of this kind of another. The fresh breeze of the sea, the soothing sound of the waves - they restore our souls and heal us. At the end of such a day I just feel whole again.  

I am thankful for a lovely day on the beach; a much needed outing from our daily hard routine. I am thankful for the introduction for this new idea (for me) of windsurfing. I am thankful for seeing this excited and alive side of my boyfriend, which I knew exists but never saw and assumed it was gone. I am thankful for the healing power of the sun and the beach and above all the power of the sea. And most of all I am so thankful for this phone call from my son, I was worries sick yesterday and I am so happy he is safe and on his way back home.       

No comments: