Thursday, August 1, 2013

An Engagement Party

Day 924 - I just came back from an engagement party of my niece. They are very religious people and so it's so much more meaningful for them. It's a long drive and late at night and all but I am so happy I was able to be there and not miss it as I did when I lived abroad. I enjoyed very much seeing the family and be part of this true celebration. We are so used to modern life with all the indulgence and excess and here it was just  the opposite, it's about making them happy and take part in their joyous moment. All her friends brought cakes and everyone was helping to set the tables and the food not much attention is paid to niceties and to perfection. And I like that, I like this kind of life with not to much time spent on putting on the masks and keeping them on, of trying to impress each other. Simpler life; living on the edge but in a very down-to-earth manner. I am so happy I live here in this country now and I get to be part of these celebrations' yet the price is that I miss so much in my kid's life. What a choice!!
 
I am thankful for this very special evening. I am thankful to my brother's kids for their hospitality, each in his own way. I am thankful I got to be part of this special  evening. It's 2 am right now, and I am so thankful I can go to bed now.  

No comments: