Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Progress

Day 936 - Few days ago when we were on the beach my partner's cell phone got soaked in sea water and you can guess the outcome of such an event. As part of the new and upgraded phone he got, and since he had a very bad cell phone plan I offered to get him the one we have at my work place, that is so much better. And so I did today. It's real easy, they just need some basic info from him and in a few minutes one can switch from one company to another, keep his phone number and get a plan that will save him a lot of money and give him so much more. The seller just gave me a new SIM card and this evening we switched it and all is well. With all the new plans and free minutes and free SMS and all, we already forgot how expensive it used to be; how they used to bind you to the provider for years. And now in a few minutes it's all taken care of. It reminded me when the home use of internet was in its infancy and we still had a dial up modem and we paid by the minute. I cannot even imagine now a days being on for only few minutes. Such a huge and irreversible change that took place in the past few years. We are talking about 15 years ago. It is scary sometimes to  think of all the changes we had gone through in such a short time. In this pace no one knows what the world will look like 10 years from now. I am still at the age when I can participate and enjoy these changes but I am sure the day will come when it will be too much for me, just as it is now for my parents. Such a strange thought. But this is the natural flow of life; the young ones are running ahead and the elderly slowly falling behind. I don't feel I'm getting older, but I am with every passing moment. But since it is such a slow process a little episode like the one today are the reflecting mirror through which I can detect them.
  
I am thankful for every passing day. I am thankful I got to live in such an exciting era. I am thankful for all the things we can enjoy because of that. I am thankful for little niceties such as internet and cell phones; they make life so much easier and the world such a small and accessible place.      

No comments: