Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mission Accomplished

Day 937 - I needed to notarize a few documents today for some legal issues back to the states. It's the first time I had to do that and so it was a very interesting learning experience for me. Here a notary is a very experience lawyer, 10 years of work before one can become a notary. So it's not just going to the local mail boxes company or to Kinko's. I had to set an appointment and it cost a fortune. Back home it was $10 per signature; here it was $54 in a country where the average salary is about half or less than there. Adding to that was the fact that the first notary I set an appointment with just blew me off few minutes before our meeting. But, and there has to be a but, after all I am here to say thanks and not to whine, I managed to get an appointment with another lawyer right away and two hours later I was back at work with the signed documents even if a little disappointed. Coming from a different country I know it doesn't have to be that time consuming or expensive. But deciding to live here was not because it's the best deal in the world, it sure isn't. Life are expensive, salaries are low and the pressure is way too much at times. I decided to live here because I am part of this landscape, part of these people,I feel at home here more then anywhere else and this is the place I want to be despite all the above. I love it here, but I love it with open eyes; I don't tell myself lies or pretend things are pretty. I love this country with all its short comings. And so I accept with a little smile all these things that make others upset.

I am thankful for the little reminder that not all is perfect here in this little country of ours. I am thankful that even though it took me so much time and cost so much money I got the work done. I am thankful it is not something I need to do too often; and in small quantities we can take almost anything. I am thankful for my impending sleep, I didn't sleep well last night and so I am very tired.    

No comments: