Friday, August 2, 2013

About older parents

Day 925 - My parents stayed here over night. It is the first time they stay at my place since I moved here. I visit them every so often but I just realized they never visit me. In the morning i took them to the train station for their long trip back home. See them walking to the gate it suddenly downed on me how old they are getting and how frail. To see my mom walking so slowly, using a cane to question if she can handle a light bag while walking... Somehow when they are in their own element it's not so obvious how far her health deteriorated, how weak and helpless she is getting. I looked at them as they walked away from me and I realized more then ever before that their life story is getting so close to the end, that our time together is almost over. It's painful to see them like that; I still remember the strong and all mighty parents of my childhood and here they are now moving slowly and with great difficulty and I am the one who is holding their hand; our roles have reversed. It's not that I mind helping them, it's what it means that hit me. I looked at them and my heart filled with so much love so much compassion. They are amazing people and I can only hope to be as good and gracious as they are when I'll reach that age. And I also understand so much more that I have to visit more and invite them here more, because our time together is so scarce and I'll regret later I didn't do more, didn't see more, didn't say more. To live life of no regret mean to call your loved ones every day and tell them how much you love them just in case it is our or their last day. To see then as much as we can for the very same reason and most of all not to waste time on stupid fights instead of loving each other and forgive or better yet, not even see the short coming. not sweating the small stuff. That when the time comes we can say I lived well the time I had on this earth, I spend well the time I had with the important people in my life.

I am thankful my parents finally came here to visit me. I am thankful for every moment I spend with them. I am thankful I came back to this country at the end of their life so we can rehab and rebuild a bridge between us. I pray the time we still have will be spent well.  

No comments: